Latest Podcast

Saturday, May 28, 2016

The Horror of Self-Deception (Matt. 7:21-23)

Outline: Matthew 7:21-23
  1. The reality of self-deception
  2. The nature of self-deception
  3. The horror of self-deception 
  4. The remedy to self-deception
Summary: A pilgrim must not only beware of being deceived by others (Matt. 7:15-20), but must also beware of deceiving himself (vv.21-23).  Jesus tells us plainly that on judgment day many, many people will face the sad reality that they have deceived themselves into thinking that they had a relationship with Jesus when in fact no such relationship ever existed.  Many actively disobey God's will yet still expect to receive His mercy while others boast in their own works only to hear the words "I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."  

Main Point: On judgment day, many who claim to know Jesus will be justly cast into hell by Jesus.

Discussion Questions:
  • What is one assuming by addressing Jesus with the words “Lord, Lord”?
  • What clues from the text tell us how widespread self-deception will be on judgment day? 
  • Paraphrase Jesus' words: "I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness."
  • Why do you think Jesus wants us to know the reality, nature, and horror of self-deception? 
  • Why would Jesus refer to people who do "good" things (v.2) as "workers of lawlessness"?
  • What is the remedy to self-deception?
Application Questions:
  • How sure am I that I'm not self-deceived?  What is my confidence based on? 
  • Are their people in my life that may be self-deceived?  How might God be calling me to reach out to them?
  • Am I truly doing the will of the Father? Explain.
  • What will my claim be before Jesus "on that day"? 
Prayer Points:
  • Confess any presumption or pride or lack of concern for the eternal well being of others
  • Thank Jesus for this sober, yet loving and caring warning 
  • Ask the Holy Spirit to to help you focus on doing God's will in God's power